Friday, May 1, 2020

The Frank Gotch Squat Challenge



I normally don't get in the habit of doing certain challenges but one came up that I might try out just to see how it goes. After my legs heal up from some crazy soreness doing hundreds of Hindu Squats the other day I'll give this a chance. It is named after the legendary American Catch As Catch Can Wrestler Frank Gotch (1878-1917).

I first heard of this challenge by the Scottish Wonder Woman Kirsten "LittleTank" Tulloch who got it from I believe Travis Futrell but I'm not entirely sure but it seems one heck of a challenge and a hell of a leg workout. Frank Gotch was to Wrestling back in the early 20th century was what Wayne Gretzky was to Hockey, he dominated opponents and was known as a Hooker; a feared wrestler who knew how to cripple his opponents.

You can learn more about Frank Gotch by getting some of his books on wrestling and his life here.....

The Squat Challenge can be done in different ways (especially if you're a sucker for loving Leg Day) but the main premise is this.....

Hold a half squat or ass to grass squat for 30 seconds

Come up do 1 Bodyweight Squat

Hold for 30 Seconds

Do 2 Bodyweight Squats

Hold for 30 Seconds

Do 3 Bodyweight Squats

Repeat the hold and go up a number of squats until you can't go anymore. Rest 2 minutes than do 5 minutes of as many Squats as you can.

Some might do the full squat hold but I prefer the half squat since you feel more of the legs in that position and as for the squats, I prefer the Hindu Squats. It'll test you that's for sure and you'll feel your legs like jello. Conditioning is an athlete's greatest asset and the more you can outlast the next guy, the better. Challenges can be a change of pace and testing your abilities to see what kind of shape you're in. You don't have to be a wrestler to be in good condition but if you plan on being a wrestler, conditioning is your best friend before technique and sparring/competing. Have fun with this and see how you do.

2 comments:

Steve T said...

Hi Ben

I have followed your posts on Transformetrics Forum over the years and think that as well as John you had the best posts on that site. I have recently discovered Power and Might. I liked your post on the Miracle 7. I find if I don't do the Miracle 7 regularly but revert back to it when I get injured. I am over 50 and tend to get injured shoulders when I do push ups or pull ups consistently. Do you find that if you consistently do the Miracle 7, like every day that it can make a real difference?

Regards,
Steve T

Ben Bergman said...

Steve,

Thank you for the kind words bro, I really appreciate it. I do miss posting on there sometimes but it was time for me to move on. I'm glad you enjoyed reading about the Miracle 7, phenomenal routine. It's been ages since I've done that workout. If you love that workout, doing it regularly wouldn't be much problem but it is good to change things up every now and then. If you're getting hurt doing Pull-ups & Push-ups, my suggestion is to either stop doing them or find certain variations that don't make you feel pain. They can be hard exercises and if you're prone to shoulder problems that is going to hinder your progress. I would also suggest Isometrics for those particular exercises and work on your mobility and flexibility within your shoulders and also the rest of the body.

Depending on the intensity of the routine, you could do the Miracle 7 everyday if that's your best form of exercise and it could make a difference but I never experienced that. That would be an experimental thing for you and if you're hurting like pain, stop right away. Focus on what makes you feel good in your training, don't do anything that causes pain. Hope this helps.

Sign Up

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *