Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Can Warming Up Be A Good Thing Or A Bad Thing?

Do you ever do a warm-up routine and than go after your workout? What kind of warm-up do you do; stretches, yoga, jogging, lifting lighter weights, loosen the joints? I've noticed over the years that warming up isn't always the best choice depending on the circumstances. Do you ever see a Gazelle stretching before being chased by a lion or a cheetah? No and why is that; because if you're in a life or death situation, having a warm up could get you killed. Some people regardless of age are so energetic that warming up isn't a big thing and can function in training sessions without issues.

As we do get older, it is important to keep tabs on our muscles and joints but warming up in a general sense won't always help maintain muscular and joint health. I believe in finding ways to get the blood flowing within a few minutes to get the juices going but if you're taking more than 20 minutes to warm up for an hour long session in addition, that could ruin your progress because there is way too much time being used when you don't need that much time. However, if you're very tense and have had previous injuries than maybe a few stretches won't hurt you but it is important to do exercises that release tension, open up channels in the body and giving the body a bit of a kick before doing something strenuous.

I have knocked hard on Warming Up in the past but now i'm closer to 35 and already have tension in my lower back, effects of scar tissue from my accident at 20 and an off and on bad right knee so I do have to think more of the health and shape my body is in. If i'm doing something like BJJ, I do some exercises before sparring like dynamic flexibility training, Animal Flow, stretches from Combat Conditioning or other animal movements to loosen up the areas I need to stay in a sparring match. Most of the time I rarely ever warm up and itch my way to going full boar. With the Animal Dice Game, I don't completely go full speed, I let my body get acclimated to the exercises and within a couple minutes I'm good to go.

The bad thing about warming up in my opinion and from personal experience is that if you do exercises that tire you quickly, you're not going to have a full and bad ass workout. Another is that if you warm up too long and with the wrong kind of stretches for your structure, you can injure yourself even quicker before your training really starts. There are awesome stretches to do and doing something like Animal Flow for even 5 minutes is a lot of fun and gets that motivational energy flowing. I sometimes like to start off the day with Isometrics or exercises based on CoreForce Energy. I'm very intuitive in what I do and I normally don't always go by being told to do this or that.

I truly believe in flowing with your body and if it's out of balance and you're so damn stiff that moving is painful than you need to find out what you can do and maybe even get an adjustment. I know what it's like to be so stiff that every muscle aches and cracks each inch you move so I feel your pain but even if that happens, sometimes just sitting and slowly rolling the joints can work wonders and on some days where I don't feel like doing anything strenuous, I just do joint loosening or holding a few postures or hang from the pull-up bar to loosen my spine.

If you feel the need to warm up, make it interesting and fun; do deep breathing, loosen up the joints, hold postures and depending on your condition, just do a few minutes of what you can and get in on your training from there.



Herb Of The Day: Nettle Root

No comments:

Sign Up

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *