Monday, September 23, 2019

Hindu Squats Progression Using A Deck Of Cards




In my research, I come across many different ways to use progressions when it comes to a specific exercise, sets and reps schemes and ideas for workouts to keep things interesting. I've recently gotten back into doing Hindu Squats and doing 500 Reps at a time and found a cool way to do the 500 rep workout. Now in the past doing 500-1000 Reps in the Hindu Squats wasn't much of a challenge for me as I could blast through rep after rep with little to no rest doing 500 in under 13 minutes and doing 1000 in 33 minutes wasn't the biggest deal to me but I did have a slight injury to my lower back a couple years ago and it's been going going on and off since.

I felt the need to do 500 Squats again because my mind was there and just wanted to see how I can do them again. Granted, I' am being more careful these days not to hurt myself and do what's possible without aggravating anything. I found a post that had an article written by the late Catch Wrestler Billy Robinson years ago about using the deck of cards to do 500 Hindu Squats. This sounded like a cool idea so I went for it and made it work for me. Whenever I needed to break from the cards for a bit, I'd do so? Not because I was out of breath or my legs couldn't take it, but to keep my back from straining and keep the tension at bay because I've had spasms and they're not fun.

This progression has worked very well with me and as I got better and the soreness is slowly fading, I'm resting less and less and naturally letting my back get stronger without feeling any pain. It's coming along and not guaranteeing anything, let's see how long I can go with this. I'm not a pro athlete or a wrestler so I'm not worried about how good of shape I need to be in, I'm already in shape and doing what works for me. If I need to back off a bit, I do so, if I need a day to do something else, I'll do it. Do what's possible for you and make the most of it, progressing at your pace and being in top shape for you, not anyone else.

Here's how the progression goes with doing 500 Hindu Squats. Take your time with this and if you can't do the full deck right away, don't worry about it. Your body will get acclimated naturally but yet at the same time, it's never the same workout twice as you you never know which card will pop up and make you work...

2-10 = Face Value

Face Cards = 10 Reps

Aces = 16 Reps

Jokers = 50 Reps

Total that up and it'll come out to 500. Do as many cards as you can in the beginning. 500 Squats in and of themselves is no easy task anyway but don't mistake you can't do them. Rest when needed and as you get better, reduce the rest time until you can go through the deck without needing a break at all. Trust me when I say this, it's better to have the jokers in the beginning than in the middle or even the end cause they will kick your ass and if they happen to be towards the end of the deck, be mindful and get though them.

The benefits are incredible with this kind of workout....Phenomenal cardio, strength in the legs, strengthening the tendons of the knees, great lung builder, stamina, muscular endurance, flexibility and making the muscles work without doing the same set of reps twice in a row. Unlike doing 500 in one set or through a countdown, you're doing 500 differently every time. Have fun with this and get those legs cooking. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ben, hope you and your wife are keeping good. I was Thinking a fee years ago we were messaging each other and you gave me your version of the deck of cards workout with Hindu pushups and Hindu squats.
What a butt kicker it was.

I thoroughly recommend it.

Sign Up

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *