Monday, July 16, 2018

The Humbling Experience Of Being On The Mat Again

On Thursday, me and the fiance went on a 5 mile hike and had a blast on it. Fairly easy and using techniques I learned from CoreForce Energy to make the walking a lot more interesting. After settling a while, my girl dropped me off at the gym and went to get her nails done. I went in the MMA room just to get in some good ole exercise but ended up talking myself into the Jiu Jitsu class.

I haven't wrestled since November of 2002 when I tried out for Ameteur Wrestling back in High School. I knew I was in for a rude awakening and I was going to use my CoreForce Techniques to get myself by, but the sad thing is, I was nowhere near at my full strength and with my body being shot from the hike and not eating at all in that point of the day. I will say on record that I got the living crap beat out of me. I was gassed within a matter of a couple minutes in those 5 min rounds. For the most part, i'm in decent shape from all the stuff I do but my brain and body just wasn't home that day and I was pinned, tapping like Morse Code and just couldn't get a hold of anyone.

It was on one side of the coin a very fun and incredible learning experience. Going toe to toe with a UFC fighter and a couple of solid blue belts it was a check off a bucket list if there ever was one. The other side of that, I was beating myself up more than they did and barely slept a wink. I just kept kicking myself thinking "I know I could've done better than that" and other things but the one thing that kept coming up especially from my girl was that; with my disadvantage that day, I did everything that was meant to happen and although I choked out and leg locked left and right and crooked, I held out the best to my abilities at the time. Take it for what it is and knowing that even after not being on the mat for nearly 16 years, its ok.

The guys gave me props for my effort and acknowledged for my will to be on the mat despite my horrifying way of showing it. Even the coach Pablo Alfonso gave me props and a ton of tips which I desperately needed. You can have all the knowledge in the world but applying it is a whole different realm and I learned this the hard way. Got whelps, sore neck and sore ankles but I still survived the best I could with a smile on my face. It goes back to the old saying about boxing "you're only prepared until you get punched in the face" and it's the same with wrestling/jiu jitsu "you're only prepared until someone gets their hands on you." Whatever sport you go out for, let the ego aside and be humble, learn and acknowledge your opponent. I do want to get back on the mat and this time have far better energy and more suited up mentally. I don't know if i'll be any better but they haven't seen the last of me.

No comments:

Sign Up

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *