Monday, April 16, 2018

Going At Your Own Pace To Progress

When you have groups of people or you watch and follow along on a DVD, you're going at the same pace as everyone else. It is a great motivator and it feels like you're a part of a team but not everyone is motivated that way. For some of us, following along just doesn't connect with our brains and we end up being discouraged or just dont have the capacity to keep up with the instructor and/or group.

I learned long ago how to be my own trainer and do what works for me in an effective manner where progression comes natural and flows. I have gone through the areas of following along with an instructor and a group of people but what I was actually doing is getting an idea of how an exercise works. Truth is, I have a totally different chemistry and i'm just not meant to be a part of the same speed, tempo and progression as everyone else. I go by intuition and don't believe in going through exercise so hard it hurts and pushing through pain. I know pain; I've had two broken legs, dented my knees, busted my head open and dropped nearly 200 pounds onto my chest hard from a bench press back in high school. Pain is not something I wish on anyone.

I personally feel that when you progress on your own and learn to be intuitive, you get a very hard sense of what it's like to learn about your body internally and externally. The majority of people follow along because that's what your programmed to do, to be the same as everyone else and feel like you're a part of something. I get it, I've been there and I have done it and it does feel good but at the same time, you're also missing out on yourself more than you think. I'm not saying you shouldn't have a good time, there's nothing wrong with that and you get to meet and learn from new people and it is better than nothing to get in shape. The truth is that both have great benefits and one doesn't necessarily mean their better than one another but there are three types of people in this case; 1 is very intuitive and has better chances of progressing on their own, 2 is that a person likes being with a group or loves to follow along and that works well for them and 3, a person who can do both and strives to learn progressions from both sides and can feed of both.

Now for those playing the home game here; I'm only talking about fitness and exercise, not MMA or Law Enforcement/Military, these ARE things you want to pay attention to and listen and follow along because these things can be life saving and are critical to the development in your field of this caliber. I'm a big fan of Catch Wrestling and Submission style fighting but I can't afford an instructor so I have to make alternatives and learn from other sources on this type of training, I do need an instructor and learn hands on like everyone else and I'm missing out on critical things so I understand that dilemma. I have DVD's that I observe and make key points on and learn pretty well with that but on the other side of the coin, once you have hands on training, there's nothing like it. I have a very small crack of training in CACC from a former friend who recently passed (check out the article Keep Those Hands Up Grandpa for more info) so it is important from this point of view that going at your pace in this sense needs to be with real people and hands on.

 When it comes to exercise, learn and do movements/holds the best way you can and find important elements in how your body handles a particular exercise. If it doesn't work for you than learn what can work and it your abilities making it work for you instead of against you. Experiment and tune into your intuition. Be your own person the best to your abilities because for me, being like everyone else is boring, shallow and unnatural. You were born to be different and you were meant for things that come natural to you, practice what gives you the greatest benefit.

No comments:

Sign Up

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *