Monday, February 5, 2018

My Recent Visits And Lifts At The Gym

I officially have had a membership to a gym for a few weeks now and mainly going once or twice a week at best, no more than three because I still love my bodyweight training and can do that anywhere and go in just to have fun moving heavy stuff around. It is quite an experience and have met a few people and have had a great time lifting some iron again and some new lifts I've never done before.

My lifts are not that special since I have no where near the strength some of these guys have but it is thrilling to be alongside them and try things out. I have learned a little on lifting stones but due to back issues still I haven't hit a heavy one as much as I'd like but that will change soon. I have picked up an 88 lb. stone which is pretty easy for me although I Am a beginner, picking it up and pressing it for reps and learn the technique. My next stone is around 150-155 lbs. I'm lucky I can still move some hefty dumbbells and like a Dinosaur, just do basic stuff no bodybuilding or to look like a pretty boy, not my forte. Carried up to 90 lb. dumbbells across an area of the gym for at least a couple revolutions in the Farmer's Walk. Haven't done this since I first trained with my friend Tyler "Garage Warrior" Bramlett.

One lift I'am surprised I can still pull off is benching more than my bodyweight. I haven't touched the barbell bench press in roughly 10 years and ended up benching 285 at the end. My max however was 305 back in the day but within a near 15 year period, 20 lbs lost is not that much if you really think about it and this is after years of push-ups, pull-ups, animal exercise, isometrics and other things so I'm actually happy. Doing the Log Press for the first time was quite an experience, learning the bar alone was 100 lbs so I was up for a challenge and managed up to round 150 for 5 reps or so. Doing the Yoke for the first time was a real eye opener and a humbling experience I'll never forget. Without weight on the corners, it is 200 lbs. alone (52 pounds below my bodyweight) and started out with that and carrying it across an area of the gym. My max carry was around 435 and for a first timer at age 33 and never carried that much weight in my life, it was incredibly exciting. My max weight however without carrying was a partial squat lift of 525 lbs. (more than doubled my bodyweight).

As I started getting a bit of a bug, I wanted to amp things up a little bit. For the most part I'm no really interested in deadlifting or benching anymore and focus mainly on odd object lifting, thick bar training (fat gripz) and other strongman style training at the gym. I decided to bring my fat gripz to the party and see what I can do with a thicker bar (they have an axle barbell but you never know who wants to play with that) so I have done just overhead pressing, rows and curls with them. My best lift in the overhead press with the FG has been 185 lb. for 1-3 reps for multiple sets, would love to hit 200 soon. DB Benched with the 65-70 lbs dumbbells with the FGs and curl with 30-40 lbs. for multiple reps. Without the FG I can still curl for reps with more than 50 lbs with DBs so that felt awesome to be able to do.

Now I'm not doing anything heavier than I need to do and never train to failure. I only do things I can instinctively do and I never reach a point of pain, sure I can go far heavier but why would I need to, I have nothing to prove. Some guys like to push their limits and see how far they can take it which is fine for them and kudos for their efforts but for me, it's about having fun and just playing around. I'am serious about going into a lift yes but not to the point where I'm maxing out and being in pain, I lift what I can and be able to walk straight and still lift my arms up without joints hurting.

Usually after a lifting session, I put on some swim trunks and go in the pool for a finisher or to cool down and let my body recover. This really helps the process and will do a little more training later in the day like animal moves or core training. Deciding to drop my guard a bit on joining a gym and seeing what I can experience and take in with it, very inexpensive and the only gym with an actual strongman room, that sold me right there. It is not my intent to be a full fledged strongman from that area since I already have done strongman stuff like steel bending, phonebook tearing and levering hammers. This is more of an adventure and learning certain skills. It is a blast and more than just doing lifts, I'll play basketball every now and then, I love to swim when the opportunity arises and help encourage guys around me, some of them are intimidating looking but after 20 years of off and on training in all sorts of areas, you get used to it being around big guys and learning from them as they can learn from you. Some of them are just young kids in their early-mid 20's and have a ton of potential so hopefully I can pass on some of my wisdom and share knowledge with them.

No comments:

Sign Up

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *