Friday, January 19, 2018

Being Bored During A Workout Is Something Nobody Should Do

Don't get wrong, it's certainly better than nothing but from a deeper standpoint, the fact that you're bored during a workout to me means something is wrong and you need to fix it. I've seen this happen to people and I've done it myself; when you act so uninterested but try to push things on anyway, you're setting yourself up for disaster.

Always found that when you're bored, your mind and body are unenergetic and you have almost a depressed element going on but also, when you're bored, that's saying you're not being challenged or you are energetic but you don't know what to do because nothing else seems there at the time or you've done everything else and something just isn't sparking. If you exercise and your body and mind just isn't into it, your form can become sloppy and with such emotional numbness, you're putting yourself more in the crossfire of injury next to adding insults to your own mind.

I love putting out recommendations for specific programs but that doesn't mean I always do those things. People love certain things and I want to find things that can spark their mind and body to do something worthwhile. Take circuit training for example: Putting multiple exercises together and doing them one after the other and then resting and repeat; there are so many different exercises you can do for any form of conditioning, agility, strength endurance and other attributes. I do like them to a degree and depending on the exercises and amount of rounds. I don't do them often anymore, even doing animal exercises because I do get bored repeating an exercise too much regardless of the amount of rounds. Can I do them, yes depending on intensity and repetitions. I use to love doing them often but when you are on a certain path and your mind just isn't there, it's not worth pushing it even for a round or 2. I do believe circuits work extremely well in specific formats but they're not for everyone.

There are even certain exercises that I get bored with often these days and that's mainly stationary exercises like regular push-ups, squats and sit-ups. I'm not knocking the basics, those are important and should be done every now and then, however; they are so generic that they don't have major value for imagination (unless you come up with a scenario in your head) and doing hundreds upon hundreds of being in the same spot and the same up and down movements, often gets boring really fast. Yes it is amazing someone can do 500 push-ups, 1000 squats and over 500 sit-ups in a single workout or even a day but variety has its place too. I once did 600 Push-ups in a single workout that took me an hour and a half to do, granted it had multiple variations and doing pyramids for each but I could never do that every day, why would I want to, where's the fun in that?

Workouts or playouts should be adventurous, something exciting to do, move and play plus having a creative idea of what YOU would like to do. Be resourceful but don't be generic. Go beyond the norm and do things that appeal to you and challenge you. Being bored is torturous, it's not worth your time. Make time to be happy in your training and have a blast, spark your imagination, find ways to make boring exercises fun and awesome. Be bold and don't ever get bored, it makes you miss out on life.

No comments:

Sign Up

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *